Tuesday, April 14, 2009

If you looked at say an old suitcase or a magazine or ......?

a children%26#039;s book from a certain era...would it make you envision the times before you were born, or if you had been born in that era..and you were to pick up something from the time that you had seen from everyday, or something similar to it...would it remind you of your past?





For example, seeing say a old magazine from the 1940%26#039;s ,would it take you back, and make you wonder what life had been really like for the people way back then(if you were born way after that time)? or if you were from that era..and you had found a pair of shoes or still wore those shoes, or had a car from that time...would it remind you, of your past days? and how would it make you feel inside?





(For me, I used to look at my mom%26#039;s things.)..she had a lot of children%26#039;s books, and old kids magazines..from the 30%26#039;s but, more the 1940%26#039;s...and other things like stuffed animals and such...I felt things when I saw them.I still feel things,when I see things from that time!





what about you?

If you looked at say an old suitcase or a magazine or ......?
I look at the Declaration of Independence and I think of 1776 and Thomas Jefferson. I don%26#039;t feel British turned American. I just feel proud. I look at some of my mom%26#039;s old things and stuff and I don%26#039;t %26quot;feel things%26quot;. I just feel, wow, this is.. gnarly?
Reply:My husband and I went recently to see the film %26#039;The Queen%26#039; in a very old (1920) cinema in a place called Woodhall Spa in England.





This is a place where a very famous British flight from the Royal Air Force flew during WWII - most famously for the flight of the Dambusters - later made into a film starring Kenneth Moore.





During the break in the film - an old organ came up from in front of the screen - as they used to do in years gone by - and a really old guy was playing stuff by Glen Miller - music belonging to the war years.





As we sat there in the darkness we both had the feeling that there was voices and sounds from around the room that made it feel as though there was an old time dance going on.





Neither of us said anything to each other at the time but i know that I really felt as though I could see and hear the ghosts of those pilots and the girl friends that they must have left behind before they went on the bombing missions.





It was later in the week that we found out that the night we went was the anniversary of the beginning of the Battle of Britain - a very very famous air battle fought over England by the RAF.





Imagination or what? Who knows - except neither of us knew that it was the anniversary or that that place used to be a dance hall in those days.





It wasn%26#039;t unpleasant at all - in fact - it was so real that we both kind of felt privaliged to perhaps have seen something from the past.





We pretty much forgot about the film!



Auto Loan

No comments:

Post a Comment